Re: Netview 5.1 color problem, etc

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview 5.1 color problem, etc
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:28:30 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Yes, and most likely you will continue to have them because this is exactly
the area where vendor cooperation breaks down.  Some products use a lot of
colors, NetView, the Tivoli user interface, Netscape, just to name a few.
When these, or other apps, request a particular color, and no alternates
are given (or perhaps even the alternates are already in use) the operating
system throws up its hands and gives you the "out of colors" message.  I
think It should automatically assign other colors or automatically give out
private color maps, but that is not what happens.  If the application is
built to allow a private color map, and it asks for one, then that request
is honored.  Otherwise everyone, including the CDE, shares the same one.

With Netscape for example, you can start it with the -install option and it
will ask for (and get) a private color map.  Another thing you can do is
start NetView and Tivoli before Netscape, then he won't take their colors.
But I don't know about the Cisco products, though you could check their doc
and see if says anything about private color maps.  NetView and Tivoli do
not provide for one.   Perhaps someday they will.  Send a note to
netview@tivoli.com and make that request if you want to hurry that along.

But one thing is for certain.  This has NOTHING to do with what graphics
adapter or other hardware you are running.  This is an Xserver resource
allocation problem.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Froelich, Leah M" <leah.m.froelich@LMCO.COM> on 06/10/99 09:42:36 AM