nvserverd vs tecad_nv6k for TEC Integration

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: nvserverd vs tecad_nv6k for TEC Integration
From: "Giovannini, Tom" <tom.giovannini@EDS.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:24:02 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We are in the process of converting from HP OpenView NNM to NetView UNIX.
What I am looking for is advise on what is the best way to forward events to
TEC (nvserverd or tecad_nv6k).

My environment is:
                Tivoli Framework 3.6 including TEC 3.6
                NetView 5.1.1
                SMARTS IPFM product (root cause analysis product)

Since I am a new user to Netview I do not have any investment (time,code) in
the use of the tecad_nv6k adapter.

Based on what I have read and some testing it seems to me that the easiest
way to have events forwarded to the TEC is via the nvserverd daemon.  The
NetView Ruleset Editor can be use to select events that will be forwarded.
This editor seems easy to use.

The tecad_nv6k adapter requires updating of the cds, oid and conf files.

Before I commit to the use either of these adapters I would like to get some
advise from those that are much more experienced than I in these products.
Are there any differences that should be considered in making this
selection.  I will need to forward SMARTS IPFM events to the TEC no matter
what.

Please advise.
Regards,

Tom Giovannini
EDS
Enterprise Management Engineering - South
Address:
        5400 Legacy Drive
        M/S:  A4-1C-38
        Plano, TX   75024
Phone:  (972) 604-4105 (8-834) Fax:  -4776
Internet:  tom.giovannini@eds.com