Not Shutting Down Daemons For Machine Re-boot

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Not Shutting Down Daemons For Machine Re-boot
From: Simon Long <slong@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 00:22:41 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I am concerned about what damage a poorly co-ordinated shutdown of the
Netview/Tivoli
daemons on an AIX machine can do.

I am asking this question because I am experiencing certain problems with a
fairly recently installed
Netview machine ( Netview 5.1.1 on AIX 4.3.2 ).  I suspect the machine in
question has been shut down
without first taking down the "oserv" daemon ( eg. via "odadmin shutdown" )
plus the Netvew GUIs
( eg. ovwexit ) and daemons ( ie. ovstop; ovstop nvsecd ).    I am keen to
understand the following:-

1.  What damage can doing this cause?
2. Are there any procedures short of re-installing for fixing the resultant
damage ( either to
    the Framework or Netview files )?

Regards,

Simon Long