Re: Not Shutting Down Daemons For Machine Re-boot

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Not Shutting Down Daemons For Machine Re-boot
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:11:46 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
You are barking up the wrong tree, as they say in backwoods around here.

Are you running TIPN or something like that?   If not, then the oserv has no
role for NetView except to start the Tivoli desktop so you can run the config
scripts and do maintenance.  The Framework has the same role as  SMIT on AIX.
But NetView itself has no knowledge nor connection with the oserv.  We don't
even know it is there.   Any problems you have with NetView have nothing to do
with the oserv.

Now, if you are in a TMR which is connected to others, as you would be with
TIPN, and (your NetView box is not just a standalone machine but the oserv there
talks to other oservs,  that is an entirely different story.  But now we are
talking about Framework problems, with the oservs trying to connect to one
another.  NetView still doesn't know about the oserv but now he might not be
able to get the data he needs to make the TIPN Inventory connection work.  If
your oservs don't work after reboot, that is a Framework issue.

So what do you mean by an "improper" shutdown -- someone did shutdown -Fr  but
not ovstop nvsecd first?
That could conceivably cause a problem with one or more objects in the database
not being updated correctly, or in the case of a newly discovered object, not
being added correctly.  But it usually doesn't.  The daemons would have to be
unusually slow in writing the databases and be killed by AIX before they
finished.  But that is the only thing I can even think of .  And those problems
should be fixable with the standard utilities, or at most, a
delete-and-rediscover for some particular nodes. So what kind of problems are
you seeing?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Simon Long <slong@NETTRACK.COM.AU> on 07/10/99 09:22:41 AM