Re: Netview Service Point...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Service Point...
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:42:31 -0400
Regarding both this note and your question about Cisco Blue:

You have to decide if your focal point is at the mainframe or at the
rs/6000, as Blain discussed.

For going up,  Netview for AIX does it with Comm Server AND Service
Point. Comm Server provides the SNA connectivity, Netview for AIX
tralertd daemon does the conversion, and Service Point communicates
with host Netview.  You manage from the host.
For going down, the IBM solution, now largely unused, was SNA
Manager/6000. It required only Comm Server, and the host Netview
forwarded SNA alerts to SNA Manager/6000 daemons, which converted
the alerts  to snmp trap format, and  also provide graphical representation of
the SNA network in Netview for AIX. The Cisco Blue product was/is
a direct competitor to the later: that is, it is for sending stuff down from
the mainframe to the rs/6000 - graphics and alerts, converted to traps.
You manage from the risc.

If you want to send SNA alerts to the RS/6000 over IP, there must be
something on the mainframe to do the conversion from SNA-MS
(NMVTs or MDS-RUs) to SNMP (trap) protocols. I'm not sure what
there is to do that these days.

The current Tivoli Netview for MVS does have an adapter to send
alerts directly to the T/EC. That is strategic solution. Send all events
of all sorts to the T/EC and correlate them there. This would be done
using the proprietary Tivoli protocol (not snmp, as I understand it) over
IP. In this case part of the solution is provided by Tivoli Netview for 390
and part is provided by the T/EC.

Wow.

Thanks for all the info.

I have a few other questions however...

1. Our mainframes (running Netview for MVS) have a TCP/IP interface and of
course a TCP/IP stack (I think my mainframe people called it OSA). So, after
I install Communications Manager for AIX (I am assuming NVSP comes as part
of this product ??) on my Netview 5.1.1 Server, is there anything I need to
install on the mainframe side?

2. I am assuming that I send these SNA Alerts over IP, i.e. I do not need an
SNA connection to the mainframe??

Any info appreciated. I am completely foreign to the wonderful world of the
Mainframe and SNA.

Gord.