Re: NV UNIX 5.1.1 Collection Status problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NV UNIX 5.1.1 Collection Status problem
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:33:43 -0500
Leslie Clark wrote:

> Does it look like the node placed in the Collection came from one of
> the network submaps rather than from the IP Internet submap? I mean,
> you can get a red router with red and green interface cards under it,
> and status source is symbol rather than a yellow router with status source
> of compound? I think this used to happen a long time ago but I have not
> seen it lately.
> There also used to be some confusion between the node and its interface,
> depending on whether it was discovered by address or by name. Deleting
> the node and discovering it by name cleared that up, I think.

Well after further investigation, it appears that this newer situation
is a horse of a different color.
So, I won't muddy the waters with the previous case, which I can't do
any diags on now.

In this case, the collections are defined by a simple rule based on its
selection name and the SNMP ifDescr.   It contains a collection of
interfaces.  The status source is Compound/Propagate and the collection
contains at least one down interface.    The collection status is not
updated, constantly Green.

There is also a collection aggregated out of other with a collection:
rule.

Right now, it only appears to be happening with interface objects. But I
have to watch this for a little while longer. Could the collection
status propagation work differently than expected when things other than
nodes are contained therein?  I could see how this could happen (not
that it should!).