Re: Using MLM

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Using MLM
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:25:59 -0400
See comments below..

Hello,
we are considering to use the Mid Level Manager.
Before deciding to do so I have some questions.
Description the configuration:

There are five sites, every site has its own network of about 25 Unix
machines.
A site is connected to its neigbour site via a 19.2Kb TCP/IP connection.
There is a NetView management station on every site, which have to depict
the actual situation on all five sites,
and show the events from the other site(s) on request.

Q's:
1. Is it possible that NetView is running on the management station of a
site, together with the MLM which has to inform  the other four NetView
management stations?

>> Yes. You would have each Netmon discover the whole network, then use
>> Collections to assign responsibility. I'm not real clear on what happens
>> when 4 different Netviews tell the same MLM that it is responsible for
>> the same section of the network. But if each Netview does NOT tell all of
>> the MLMs, then I don't see how to stop the netmon's from polling those
>> other sections. Anybody else?

2. MLM can sent its information to more than one management station, but can
this info be filtered per management station?

>> You could use rulesets based on those same Collections you used to
>> delegate responsibilty to the MLMs. If an operator wants to see the
>> events for section A, he would create a dynamic display and specify
>> the ruleset for that section. The rule would consist of a Query
>> Database Collection block to see if the event is about a node in
>> that Collection, and a Forward block.)

Every answer, which clarifies is welcome.
Thank you.

Laurens Rauwers
e-mail: rauwers@hitt.nl