Re: What starts the Netview webserver?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: What starts the Netview webserver?
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:41:44 -0400
You need more than the webserver started. You need a r/w map open.
No way around it. The opening of the map  starts the webserver. The
browser doesn't construct its map on its own, it gets it from the open map.
And you have to log into the system to allow the automated restart of the
map, and when we went through this a couple of months ago the concensus
was that there is no way to automate a login at a display, since this would
be the worst sort of security breach. So you are back to that exported
display anyway, and perhaps that system can be configured to
automatically re-login after the reboot....

We're running Netview on an SP node and would like to monitor through
the web interface rather than running a client and enabling NFS or
exporting a display from the node.  My understanding was that the
webserver only starts when Netview is launched on the server; is there
any other way to have the webserver start at boottime?  The machine has
a scheduled reboot every weekend so I'd rather not have to come in just
to launch a gui so that the webserver starts.

--
Sean Aaron
UNIX System Administrator