AW: NV client or MLM

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: AW: NV client or MLM
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:14:51 -0400

Dror, what you have there is known as 10 pounds of potatoes
in a 5-pound sack. The 2-way F50 with 1G memory is a nice machine,
and I like to see it when I go in to do just Nways, and two or three users
and about 10,000 ojbects in the database, no more than 25 devices
requiring Nways. (Note that there are different kinds of processors
available on the F50, and there is a big difference between the 155Mhz
and the 332Mhz processors.)

To see which part of the product load is significant you really need to
put on a monitor tool. I'll send you one in case you don't have one.

Unfortunately the Nways won't work from the Netview client. Depending
on your level of Ciscoworks and Optivity, most of those products
don't even need to be on the same box as Netview as there is no
real integration.  So if you have a box available for a Netview client,
maybe you can move those products there instead.

Offloading polling to MLMs would help on the CPU, but it may be
insignificant compared to the other products. That's why you need a
monitor.

Have you made sure the object count is the lowest it can be? And
have you made sure the ovwdb cache setting is high enough? I have
noticed that startup of maps goes better if they happen one at a time.
Watch the monitor, or vmstat, and don't start another map until ipmap
processing drops off for the last one. That usually coincides with
the end of synchronization (at least in the absence of Nways.)

A big part of the synchronization at startup may be the Nways PSMs.
If you are at 1.2.3 or older, you might want to defer that processing
until device views are launched. That is done by adding the flag
-NO_SYNC_AT_START to the Rnvgate record in the ed.conf file
under /usr/lpp/mgtapptran/bin
This does not do much in V2 since by V2 all of the PSMs are JMAs.

Clients would be a big help, but they won't be able to launch any
device views. If only some of the users need that, those users could
run on the server and other users could run from the client.

Web users are not much of an impact on the server, but of course
they would not have device views either.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 10/06/99

Kammerstetter Bernhard <bernhard.kammerstetter@SOFTLAB.CO.AT> on 10/06/99
07:37:15 AM