Re: AW: NV client or MLM

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: AW: NV client or MLM
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:25:26 -0400
I'm searching for the url where anyone can get it. It's what is also known as
tops.

But I would suspect that you have a different problem. Probably if you do a
vmstat 5, you will see that during that 45 minutes almost no cpu is being used.
That's because I suspect that netmon is doing its configuration poll, and it is
doing name lookups on everything, and it is trying to contact every node via
snmp. And it is doing that snmp check not only on the nodes that you see on
the map, but also the stub objects that are in there for nodes you are excluding
from discovery by snmp sysObjectId. You can see it doing this by making
netmon do the trace from the startup (turn it on in the gui configuration menu
rather than from the commandline). You will probably find that it spends all
of its time waiting, rather than actually doing anything.

So you need to make sure your DNS is performing the best it can. And you
need to exclude any of those stub objects by address range, if possible,
rather than by oid or name wildcard.

A circumvention, if you are in a hurry to get past this startup (and on to
discovery,
or status monitoring, or processing demandpolls) is to turn off configuration
polling (Options...Topology). That will get things moving most of the time.

I could be wrong, and you could just have too small a box. But the 590H is
a pretty good box, too. The vmstat 5 command will tell you if, overall, you
are short of memory or short of CPU.

Leslie,

it seems like we have a similar "problem".
Starting netmon in our 16000 objects environment needs up to 45 minutes.
netmon's trace file is empty for this startup phase.

We've done all these settings (cache, parameters to "unlimited" like described
in V5.1 readme, reduce tracing and logging, ...).
We've already collected CPU utilization of relevant prozesses - with no results.

Is it possible to send me the monitor your are talking Dror about?
The environment is AIX 4.2.1-ML3, NV 5.1 on a model 590H.

Thanks in advance

Dieter Zavelberg