Re: ifInOctets....

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ifInOctets....
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:56:26 -0500
Gord,

The value for these MIBs that snmpCollect is "snmpgetting" each time is the
actual number of octets that the SNMP agent on the device is reporting.
This number will continue to increase until it reaches its maximum value,
and then it will "wrap" back to 0.  You should be able to verify this by
using the snmpget command, or even the MIB browser.  Since the MIB type is a
Counter, that's where the delta calculations come into play.  The
snmpCollect daemon, and the NetView grapher both display the values as
rate/second because they are doing the delta calculations for you.

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX

"I love deadlines. I especially love the swooshing sound they make as they
go flying by."
Dilbert's Words of Wisdom