Re: using IP ranges in seedfile

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: using IP ranges in seedfile
From: Jim Kellock <jkelloc@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 02:03:10 -0400
In one of the appends in this thread, the author says Netview can't
discover itself.  This usually has meant some sort of a) database
problem (orphaned stub) or b) DNS problem when I've seen it, and either
can affect discovery of the network.

For a) do "ovobjprint <your Netview's IP address(es)>" and see whether
there's not an orphaned interface in there- if the NV machine still
isn't in the map.

For b) Make sure you can do nslookup on yourself, and that the name and
address are the same one's you have configured on board the Risc box,
and make sure your /usr/OV/conf/ovors file is OK with what nslookup
tells you.  Check for an /etc/netsvf.conf file and the etc/resolv.conf
file to be sure it agrees with the other configs.

And make sure both of the ATM addresses are really on the network.  Ping
something on the local subnet of each to be sure.

Some of these things, if you see them, may be inter-related and you may
want to open a PMR on this problem, as Mr. Shanks suggests early on in
the thread.

Also- the ARP cache issue and ranges: ATM doesn't do arp quite the same
way as legacy stuff, and you may need to add more specific addresses in
addition to the ranges in the seed file.  In ATM groups, the ATM devices
talk ATM- not IP- to communicate with each other.  The IP structure is
kind of laid on top for the clients.  So, and ATM switch or concentrator
may not be in the ATM router's arp cache, and won't get discovered.

Hope something in here helps.

Jim Kellock.