Re: MLM Datacollection & midmand

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM Datacollection & midmand
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:50:51 -0600
        Another problem that we have is that if we don't use MLM for a
longer time,
        we had to stop and start the midmand to get access to the MLM. Is
this
        normal? Has anybody else made the same experience?

We used to have similar problems with most of our MLM servers which are on
Sun Ultra-2s running Solaris 2.5.  However, after upgrading to MLM version
5.0.3 (the version that was shipped with the NetView 5.1.1 patch) these
problems have gone away.

        We have problems with the MLM polling MIB variables from a router,
        i always get the response that MLM couldn't get the polled data from
the
        node, the session to the node is down.

We do not do very much data collection with MLM, mostly distributed status
polling, so I don't have any solution to your problem.  I do know that the
way MLM accesses routers is different than NetView.  I assume that you are
using APM from NetView to distribute data collection policies to your MLMs.
Check out the alias tables on each MLM that are used by the data collection
policy.  They will contain a list of IP addresses that MLM is going to poll.
MLM does not use hostnames, so there are no DNS issues to worry about.  When
NetView distributes the APM policy to an MLM, the alias table is built by
using the "first interface" for each router.  You can easily determine what
the "first interface" for a router is by running ovobjprint or Tools ->
Display Object Information from the NetView interface.  The interface that
is listed first in the "TopM Interface List".  When you try the snmpget
command manually, make sure that you use this IP address instead of the
hostname of the router.

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber@USAA.com   "
http://www.usaa.com