Re: nodes reporting different link address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nodes reporting different link address
From: Steve Francis <steve.francis@COMMSERV.UCSB.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:50:35 -0800
I've seen this:
- most often, some nodes that have incomplete routing information (for example,
they are relying on a router doing proxy arp, or they are a router, but only
running RIP,m and following default for other routes, and not aware of OSPF
routers).  TO illustrate the proxy arp case, this means that when lilly tries to
send a packet to rmsxstation, it sends it to a router, thinking that in fact it
sent it to rmsxstation.  Thus when queried, lilly will give the routers MAC
address
as that of rmsxstation.
So the resolution is fix the subnet masks (if its a proxy arp thing) or, if its
limited routing protocol view causing it, get better routers.
But if it is not really broken, you could just set this event to log only.