Re: Command Line Interface for Map Customisation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Command Line Interface for Map Customisation
From: Brad Martin <bmartin@METLIFE.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:22:35 -0500
Jack,

We have a similar situtation and was told there isn't an easy way to do it by
command line. However, I have a short-cut that  has really helped.

I build a collection for the location based on some criteria. (i.e. 'IP Address'
~ '10.200.*.*' or 'Selection Name' ~ '10.200.*.*' etc....)
Once the collection is completed, I open the submap for the collection using the
GUI and select everything.
I then open the main IP map in another window.  If I've been careful to double
click, everything in the collection submap remains selected and will be selected
on the main IP map as well.

I then do an EDIT--> CUT --> FROM THIS SUBMAP and it removes the routers and
sub-networks from the IP main map.
I then drill down into the Location Icon and do an EDIT --> PASTE.

This technique seems to work  well, even if there are symbols for interfaces and
other devices in the collection. Just remember, it is very important to do the
cut from the main IP map and NOT the collection map.

Brad Martin
MetLife

"SZEWCZYK, Jack" <jszewczyk@WESTPAC.COM.AU> on 12/13/99 09:48:22 PM

Please respond to "Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView"
      <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>