Re: Unknown Object Status

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Unknown Object Status
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:03:57 -0500
Another possibility.....

If you drill down into an interface, you get a dialog that says this object
has no child submap, do you want to make one?. You are supposed to
exit. If, instead, you say OK, it makes a child submap, and changes the
status source of the interface card to compound-propogate. Since the
child submap is empty, the interface card has an unknown status. And
so does the parent node, if that was the only interface.

To see if this is what you have done, try drilling into a blue interface
card.
If you get a submap instead of the dialog, then you need to delete that
submap (under Edit..) That will also delete the interface, and you will
need to rediscover it, so you may as well delete the node.

I have recently made it a habit to discuss that dialog with each customer
I install Netview for, as it seems to be a common fat-finger thing to do.

And of course make sure netmon is running and ipmap is running.

Detroit

Good Morning -

I have a simple question concerning unknown object status. I have several
objects that I can ping, snmp browse and telnet to that remain blue or in
an
unknown state. Has anyone seen this problem? If so, what is the fix or am I
doing something wrong to perpetuate this problem?

Any help on this matter is much appreciated.

Steyland White
Resident Network Engineer
Nortel Networks, Inc.
Steyland@nortelnetworks.com