Re: HSRP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: HSRP
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:57:52 -0600
If you do not want NetView to manage the HSRP interfaces at all, then you
could exclude them from discovery via the seedfile.

Regardless, I don't think it's a very good idea to define a hostname in DNS
or /etc/hosts for the HSRP addresses.  These are virtual IP addresses which
can be associated with more than one host.  If you really want a hostname
defined for them, then you could try removing the entry from the DNS reverse
lookup file, and make sure it only exists in the forward lookup file.
NetView resolves hostnames mostly through reverse lookups, so hopefully that
will prevent discovery of the unwanted hostname.

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber@USAA.com   "
http://www.usaa.com