Re: Operator access

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Operator access
From: Frederic Mottiat <frederic_mottiat@BE.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:10:52 +0100
See comments as well.

Frederic Mottiat - IBM Global Services (PSS-SMNS)
Tivoli Implementation & Services
Email : frederic_mottiat@be.ibm.com
Tel :  02/225 34 08        Gsm : +32 (0)75 388 773

> Do you use NetView security?
Yes, for I would say at least 50 to 60% of our customer installations.
This is a great feature in order to prepare a separate working environment for
different
kind of users. Mostly 2 groups : operators with very limited access to
functionnalities
(mostly everything related to configuration and changes in the maps are lock)
and
administrators, with all possibilities. On some sites I have had to configure up
4 group profiles.

I would like to see the possibility to filter SNMP queries according to the NV
group the
user belongs to.

> Do you have a set of changes that you commonly make to the oper security group
permissions?
Removing access to functions related to edit/save/snapshots/administer.
Removing everything related to MLM configuration (once added, as unfortunately
this is not
a default, you need to first convert with c_arf2srf the needed files from
/usr/OV/registration/...).

> What changes do you make at the UNIX level to address operator accounts?
Trying to limit the number of AIX accounts. So mostly 1 AIX account for a group
of operator.
Unless very different requirements (for instance : filters saved in the
NvEnvironment file).

> Do you have a "canned" procedure that you use when configuring operator
access?
No, but should have... :-)

> Do you modify map permissions?
Always.