Re: Sending popup (ovxecho) to NT machines...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Sending popup (ovxecho) to NT machines...
From: Patrick McNeil <patrick_mcneil@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:09:29 -0600
I actually did something like this in the past.  Kind of a kludge, but it
worked.  Here is what we did:
1. Installed RSH daemon on the NT workstation.
2. For the appropriate trap, run a script that ends up executing the command
via rsh.

The shell script we had for the action got the IP address from the 'who'
list (since we had different traps sent to different people).  In our case
we actually executed a program that played a wav file on the administrator's
computer (it was for a demo and all the clients thought it was cool).  In
theory, it could be used to send a popup message to the NT (or any other
desktop for that matter) desktop.

It was a couple of years ago and we did it primarily for a showy demo.

Patrick