Re: Sending popup (ovxecho) to NT machines...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Sending popup (ovxecho) to NT machines...
From: Patrick McNeil <patrick_mcneil@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:56:19 -0600
Our environment was Windows NT 4.0 on the desktop (with the various other
management tools for Exchange, SQL, etc installed) and we used Reflection
X-Windows Server software for the NT side.  Started the GUI and used X to
display on the desktop.  Our shell used the logged in users to determine the
IP addresses (since we used DHCP the addresses were not always the same from
day-to-day).

The RSH we used we got from http://www.winfiles.com (which at the time was
windows95.com).  We tried a couple and then purchased the one that worked
the best (it ran as a service but I can't remember what it was called).

Like I said, this was primarily for show.  This is one of those things that
upper management said "Hey, can't we do ...." and of course being an
engineer we said "Sure that can be done" before we actually thought about
what they wanted us to do.