Re: SNMP Data Collections

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP Data Collections
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:10:50 -0600
"Boyce, Robert L" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>    I have a question for the forum.  In the SNMP MIB Data Collection is
> there a way to change the Threshold from "greater than" to "less than"?  In
> the GUI it seems to be hard wired as a " > ".
>
>    The problem is that I am collecting percent memory free and I want to
> alarm when that value is less than 10%.  I realize that I can create a MIB
> expression and subtract the percent memory free value from 100, and then
> alarm when that value is greater than 90, but then My data collection graphs
> will look screwy (or I will have to have two Data collections, one for
> percent free memory and one for alarming).  Am I missing something here?  I
> am not using MLM's and I do not want to have to do this in a ruleset.  I am
> running NetView 5.1.1 on AIX 4.3.2.

  1. Create the expression, and when you graph the collected data, call it
     %Memory Used.
  2. Or, have two collections for the data as you suggested.
  3. Install an MLM and let it collect the data, you can do what you desire
     there.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management