ovtopmd exit on signal 255?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: ovtopmd exit on signal 255?
From: Sean Davidson <sean.davidson@MAIL.PUBLIX.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:30:21 -0500
Running NetView v5.1.1 on AIX 4.2.1 and Tiv 3.6.1. Any idea what would cause
ovtopmd to exit on signal 255 or what it means? Check
/usr/OV/PD/cores/ovtopmd and the other directories here for core dump files,
found nothing. Searched the rest of the system for a core dump, nothing.

Based on some stuff I've got running in cron, it looks like this problem is
occuring after a reboot of the system. I've had this same problem the past 3
weeks after
system reboots.

Anyways, here's what ovstatus shows for netmon and ovtopmd:

 object manager name: netmon
 behavior:            OVs_WELL_BEHAVED
 state:               UNSTARTABLE
 PID:                 (never run)
 last message:
 exit status:         -

 object manager name: ovtopmd
 behavior:            OVs_WELL_BEHAVED
 state:               NOT_RUNNING
 PID:                 15606
 last message:
 exit status:         exit(255)

To resolve the problem, I end up doing:

ovstop
ovstop nvsecd
ovstart nvsecd
ovstart

All the daemons come up and everything is fine. Any ideas???

Thanks,
Sean Davidson

Sr. Network Systems Engineer
Publix Super Markets, Inc.