Re: Netview authentication failure on community name

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview authentication failure on community name
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:08:44 -0500
If you have installed the Nways component 'LAN Remote Monitor', it includes
an entry
by default for '127.0.0.1' and uses a community string of admin. You would
see a bunch
of authentication failure traps whenever someone launches the summary view.

Even without turning on tracing in snmp you can see what community is being
used that
causes the failure. This is on the snmpd.log whose location is recorded in
/etc/snmpd.conf.
Sometimes just knowing what the bad community string is will point you to
the culprit.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU> on 02/17/2000
11:10:19 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

Sent by:  Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView
      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>