Querying database collection for Network event source

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Querying database collection for Network event source
From: Michael Gutteridge <mikeg@HALCYON.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:44:41 -0800
Hi all....

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to an approach to use in
developing rulesets for Network-type nodes. Does anyone have any way of
comparing the source of a "Network Critical" event ( IBM_NVNETN_EV,
specific trap 50790403 ) to a network in a collection?

What I would like to do is build a collection of important
networks.  Then, in the ruleset that forwards to TEC, I would like to
query this collection to see if this "Network Critical" event comes from a
network in this collection of important networks.

And therin lies the rub.  You see, the trap attributes in the "Network
Critical" trap generated by NetView do not contain the selection name,
except as part of the formatted string ($3).  Regrettably, the "Query
Database Collection" does not accept the N.X format for substring
comparason.

Thanks much.  Feel free to mail me direct- I'll summarize any solution I
come up with.

--
Michael Gutteridge                              mikeg@halcyon.com

"Better beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear."
  -Aesop, The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse