Re: What Cisco MIBs should NetView include?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: What Cisco MIBs should NetView include?
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:29:07 -0600
Let me start by saying that I am extremely impressed by your posting James.
It sure raises my respect for Tivoli's commitment to making the NetView
product what the customers need it to be (what are you guys
smoking/drinking?).  Why didn't they ask this in the NetView 6.0 Managed
Beta program? (just a rhetorical question; you don't need to answer).

My first reaction is to answer "all of them", but then I woke up from my
dream.  Cisco has hundreds of MIB files, and it's probably not a realistic
expectation for Tivoli to include them "all".  Another possibility is to
include the "bare minimum" number of MIB files that will benefit the most
customers.  I think that all of the files supporting Cisco routers, and
IOS12.0 should be included.  Instead of listing them all here, just look in
the Cisco MIB Support list at:
http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/supportlists/c7513/supportlist.html.  By
the way, all of the "OLD-CISCO*" files are now obsolete with IOS 12.0.

Beyond the routers, I would vote for adding MIBs that support the following
Cisco devices:
Catalyst 5000 series switches
http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/supportlists/wsc5000/supportlist.html
Catalyst 6000 series switches
http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/supportlists/wsc6509/supportlist.html
Catalyst 8500 series switches
http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/supportlists/c8510csr/supportlist.html

Again, if you want a list of MIB files, let me know, but it's a whole lot
easier to just get them off of CCO (see links below).

If I could add a slightly different perspective from a customer that's
committed to both Cisco and Tivoli, there is a lot of improvement needed in
the area of CiscoView and NetView integration.  Because we have so many
Cisco devices, we purchased the CiscoView product.  The fact that NetView
does not have MIBs and traps defined for Cisco devices is not that big a
deal to us because they're provided (partly) with CiscoView.  When we
install/update CiscoView device packages, we get the MIB files needed to
support that device.  Not very many traps are defined with the CiscoView
install, but we've used the mib2trap utility, and gotten along OK.  While it
would be a big improvement if the base NetView product has more Cisco MIB
and trap support, a CiscoView install can wipe it all out.  When CiscoView
installs a device package, MIBs are loaded (optionally), and some, but not
all, traps are (re)defined (NOT optional).  I know that Cisco has a big part
to play in this, and Tivoli has no control over them, but if the two vendors
can achieve better integration in their products, then the customers will
truly benefit.  Please exploit the "renewing and deepening our strategic
partnership with Cisco" that you mentioned.

Here are some good resources on CCO for looking up MIB info:
Cisco MIB "home page"
http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/netmgmt/cmtk/mibs.shtml
Cisco "Public" MIB files  http://www.cisco.com/public/mibs/

Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA Information Technology Co.
- San Antonio, TX
* (210)456-4231         * mailto:Joel.Gerber@USAA.com   "
http://www.usaa.com