forwarding specific interface down to TEC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: forwarding specific interface down to TEC
From: "Rob McDonald" <robmcdonald@visto.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:25:59 -0800
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has tried forwarding events relating to
specific interfaces to TEC. We are implementing monitoring in phases based on
application and do not want to forward everything to TEC at this point.

For example, a router has several interfaces, and we want to only forward
interface down traps from a subset of those interfaces. We were thinking of
perhaps using a custom field in the database to mark the nodes/interfaces for
the application in question, and then using that field somehow to filter out
traps within a ruleset.

However, I have noticed that when a NetView Interface Down trap is generated,
field 2 is the router name, and field 4 is a string containing the interface IP
address plus other info i.e. I can't seem get the interface value in order to
use a database compare node for the custom field value. I have thought about
using a custom script as an alternative.

Any opinions on this approach? Is there a better way?

Thanks
Get Visto.com!  Private groups, event calendars, email, and much more.
Visto.com. Life on the Dot.
Check it out @ http://www.visto.com/info