Re: unmanaged nodes ping

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: unmanaged nodes ping
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 00:33:44 -0500
lclark@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I was really hoping this one would mysteriously clear up, but I see that it
> has not... When you to a 'Tools...Display Object Info', does it actually
> say that the node is unmanaged? How about the interfaces under it?
> Does it say that it is in more than one map (maps managed, maps exists)?

I would look closely at the OVW Maps Managed count.  If that is greater than
0, netmon thinks it is managed in at least one map.  That's the most likely
explanation I can see for this behaviour.  If that is the case, do as Leslie
suggests below:

> Have you done an ovtopofix? And an ovmapcount -a?  I would be more
> inclined to suspect that the database is messy than to think netmon is
> pinging something that is really unmanaged.

> If this does not clear up with housekeeping, and you are positive that it
> is pinging unmanaged interfaces, then you should call support.

There is a netmon command (-a 12 or -a 11) that will cause netmon to dump the
ping list into netmon.trace.  You might try it to see if it shows the
IP address for that interface.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management