Re: db corrupted ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: db corrupted ?
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:39:35 -0400

Sergio, if I were looking at such a system, I would check these things:

1) Do they have a backup of the database from before it became unstable ;)
2) Is the ovwdb cache setting 20% larger than the number of objects shown
    by ovobjprint -S ? If it is low, I would expect extremely bad
performance.
3) If they are using negative oids in a seedfile, the object count may go
high,
    and then drop down low after an ovtopofix, only to rise again. This is
    normal. The cache setting must accomodate the highest number.
4) Is the machine running constrained? Run 'vmstat 5' and see if it is
short
    of cpu or memory. Try just the daemons without maps open. How much
   memory, what kind of processor, how many users, etc....
5) Perhaps it could benefit from compression, or conversion to the turbo
   form of the database. Converting to the turbo format is detailed in the
   release notes. I have used it successfully on large databases.

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

Sergio Cardona <scardona@visiontech.com.co>@tkg.com on 04/11/2000 07:47:48
PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com