Re: NetView 6.0 for NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView 6.0 for NT
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:39:39 -0400

Perhaps you are expecting too much. On Netview for NT, using the
method you describe ( graph collected data ) you will only be able
to graph data collected since the last time snmpcollect was started
up. And it restarts every time you make a configuration change. You
can graph realtime data with the mib applications, or directly from the
mib browser, but that is realtime, a different mechanism, as opposed
to snmpcollect, which is historical (but not very).  Not real exciting, I
know.
You might try leaving it alone for a whille and then graphing ALL collected
data, and see what does show up. You  should get a dialog that lets you
choose which data to graph. You should also be able to run sql queries
directly against the database and see all of the old data.

The design intent, I am told, is that you are expected to post-process
the data in other ways, for instance using Tivoli Decision Support, which
is a Cognos-based tool for graphically presenting data. Netview V6 is
supposed to ship with the Netview Guides (pre-configured data collection
and canned 'reports') for free. Then you just need to buy TDS. It is very
very powerful tool, which to me usually mean very complicated.

If your interest is in just some simple views of the data, I would wait and
see if it works after you get through your initial gyrations with it. If it
does
not behave as I described above, you might want to call Support for help.

Detroit

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

"Algie Bryant" <a.bryant@ais-nms.com>@tkg.com on 04/18/2000 11:23:24 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com