Integer Thresholds

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Integer Thresholds
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:02:50 -0500
Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this problem:

I want to set an SNMP data collection threshold of 1000/hour for Cisco
routers bufferFails MIB variable.  The variable is defined as an INTEGER
(not a COUNTER).

Here is what I tried so far, and why it doesn't work:

  1. Use mib.coerce to force the variable to be a Counter.  This doesn't
     work because I want my threshold to be 1000/hour,  snmpCollect
     shows counters as units/second (can't find a way to change that!)
     and Thresholds cannot be set for less than 1 (1000/hour is 0.278
     units/second).
  2. Make an expression with the variable that is "coerced"into being a
     counter by multiplying it by 3600.  This doesn't work because for
     MIB Expressions - NetView seems to ignore the mib.coerce file.  It
     just ends up multiplying the Integer value by 3600, not the delta
     value.

What I resorted to was collect the data as an Integer (default), use
snmpColDump to feed the data into an awk script that will calculate the
rate/hour of the integer change.  However, because of buffered I/O, I
can't use the -f flag of snmpColDump to continually feed this data into
an awk script  (it buffers up a bunch of lines before it sends it to awk
to process - meaning it only sends data every couple hours!).

Isn't there another way?

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management