Re: Re: trouble with NetView/NWays and Norton Antivirus

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re: trouble with NetView/NWays and Norton Antivirus
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:01:06 -0400

I cannot answer for your Nways issues, but you should have been told when you
bought the IT director edition that there is no maintenance for it.  It was sold
like many other Windows/PC  products -- to get maintenance you must upgrade to
the new release.   As far as I know, there is no 5.1.3 IT director edition.
There is only the one you have and Version 6.  Complicated or not, if you want a
new NetView for NT IT director edition you must upgrade to Version 6.  Check
with the source which sold it to you and I think that is the story you will get.

The whole idea behind the IT director edition is that it would be bought by
folks who would put it on and use it at that level, and then upgrade only when
new versions came out.  The target audience is not a shop with programmers who
have the time or inclination to do maintenance; indeed the target audience has
no programmers or even full-time sys admins.  If you do not fit that
description,  I would recommend you upgrade to  the Enterprise edition.

However, if you choose to stay with the IT Director edition of  NetView for NT,
it will be possible for us to build periodic maintenance upgrades for those
situations where new releases are not planned.  No maintenance is available for
Version 6.0 at this time, however, with the old version, no official maintenance
is even possible.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT