Re: Errors on netview startup

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Errors on netview startup
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:40:03 -0400

Hmmm.
There are several things going on here.

The awk errors seem to be the result of  a command on the script,
     /bin/ps -eF comm | /bin/awk     ...
which is trying to determine whether netmon or snmpCollect are already running.
So this command would get the error you describe if there are more than 99
processes running at the time it is issued.   Looks like a bug to me. I will
mention it to someone else, but if you want it fixed for yourself, you will have
to call Tivoli Support and tell them about it -- 1-800-TIVOLI-8.

The collmap error indicates that the collmap process which is started by the
NetView GUI when it comes up, did not exit when the GUI went down the last time.
If that happens frequently, you should talk to Support about that also.

The tecad_ipfm daemon problem is about some daemon called tecad_ipfm which is
listed to be started in your /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf file and which isn't running or
cannot be started.  I don't know how this daemon was registered or what it does,
so I cannot help you there.  It appears to be something added as some kind of
TEC adapter.

The locations.conf problem in Version 6.0 has been mentioned on this forum
before.  You will want to close the GUI and do ovtopofix -a  and then bring the
GUI back up.  For more details on the problem , you can  go out to the nv-l
archives and search on the locations.conf thread.

As for database maintenance, you need to run ovtopofix, with  -A if you have
only one map, with -a if you have more than one, on a regular basis.  And you
should periodically tar up /usr/OV/databases/openview as a backup, especially
when you are making changes with cut-and-paste or radical reconfigs of your
network.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT