Changing the hostname of a TMR server running Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Changing the hostname of a TMR server running Netview
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:26:18 -0400

FYI, I have just been through an upgrade from V5 to V6 on a system for
which the hostname was previously changed. The change was done using
the method outlined in the V6 release notes, Appendix B, and was in fact
the system that was the source of those instructions. I can tell you now
that
a system whose hostname was changed in that fashion will work just fine
until you try to put a patch on the Framework. I was unable to apply the
3.6-3.6.2 patch (completed with errors) and I was unable to apply the
Netview Framework patch for 6.0 (failed properly, so at least some of
3.6.2 went on). It failed because of leftover things in the name registry
that
referred to the old hostname. Framework Support kindly sent me an
assortment of additional instructions and advised me to pick through
them looking for clues. I of course took a Netview backup and did a
migration install, and that's the course I would advise for anyone needing
to change the hostname of the server running Tivoli. Life's too short.

Detroit