RE: Changing the hostname of a TMR server running Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Changing the hostname of a TMR server running Netview
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:09:23 -0400

The migration re-install is documented in the releasenotes, sort of. Read
all of the
parts about migrating and deinstalling carefully, especially the parts
about cleaning
out extra maps and 3rd party products that are not really working. And
about trapd.conf.
(I'm just saying don't use this note as your full set of instructions).
Basically, though:

1) Take a full system backup, of course
2) Turn of netview security of you are using it.
3 Take the Netview backup. This is documented for several releases.
Basically it is
    under 'smit nv6000', Maintain, Backup... It creates a filesystem in the
volume group of
   your choice called /usr/OV.back.v5r1, for instance, if that's where you
are, or v6r0.
   Under that you will find copies of all of the Netview directories and
your changed files.
4) Deinstall Netview using the smit nv6000  option under Maintain.
5) Deinstall the Framework using brute force. Search thoroughly in /etc/
for occurances
     of 'oserv'. Don't forget the /etc/Tivoli directory. If you are
sourcing the tivoli environemnt
     in your .kshrc, get that out of there. If this is a managed node in a
TMR, deal with that too.
6) Now do your move, hostname change, address change, etc. Verify as for a
new install.
7) Intall the Framework stuff and verify. Install the Netview Framework
patch.
8) Now, in the presence of  that backup filesystem, do the Install Product,
but pick the
     Update rather than the fresh install. During the course of installing
Netview V6, it will
     pickup and incorporate most of your customizations. Exceptions are
noted in the
     /tmp/update.log.

When Netview comes up with the old map on the new box, you may have a
little trouble.
Attack that with /usr/OV/service/reset_ci, and mapadmin -f <hostname>. You
will also have
to find and delete the node for the netview server and rediscover it. Watch
the nettl log.
Worst case, you will have to rediscover, but you will probably get away
with it.

Detroit

"Gebhart, Tom (CC-MIS Tech Systems)" <Tom.Gebhart@conagra.com>@tkg.com on
07/25/2000 03:31:50 PM