Re: NV web client

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NV web client
From: "Jeffrey G. Fitzwater" <jfitz@Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:31:14 -0400
lclark@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I never see that. Are you specifying :8080 on the url as specified in the
> release notes?
>
> Cordially,
>
> Leslie A. Clark
> IBM Global Services - Systems Mgmt & Networking
> Detroit
>
> Faruk Grozdanic/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS@tkg.com on 08/09/2000 03:50:26 PM
>
> Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
>
> Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com
>
> To:   IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
> cc:
> Subject:  [NV-L] NV web client
>
> I'm running NV6.0 on AIX 4.3.3. I've loaded NV client on my workstation and
> when I try to open a map I get a mesasge on my console saying :
> "Trying to connect to port 33xxx"
> The map never comes up. I am going through a firewall to get to the NetView
> server and it is blocking those ports.
>
> I would like to know if this functionality NV web Client has uses random
> ports or if it has a specified range of ports it uses? Is there a way to
> limit this to one port as well?
>
> Thanks
> Faruk Grozdanic
> IBM GS SDC - West
> (303) 924-3475   T/L 347-3475

Not sure this will help but sounds similar.  I had problem where I would see
multiple maps with same name ( using web browser or standalone),  but
different ports but only certain ones would connect to server,  the others
gave me the message you see.   This is due to ovw going down ungracefully and
leaving stale jre map processes which can appear as available ports to connect
to in the OPEN MAP dialog box.  The only maps and ports that should be there
are valid X session connections to the server.   The bogus ones should show up
as child processes under an ovw process.

 Hope this helps.

Jeff Fitzwater
CIT Systems & Networking