Re: Re-Discovery under NetView 5.1 on AIX

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re-Discovery under NetView 5.1 on AIX
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:55:29 -0400

If you don't have a lot invested in the current discovery, you would
be best off clearing the databases and rediscovering (smitty nv6000...
control... Restart Automatic Map Generation) while preserving the
definitions of collections and APM settings.

If you need to save the current cut/paste of routers and networks,
I would define a Collection that identifies those things you do not
want to discover. You won't be able to do this by IP Address, since
nodes don't have addresses, but you could probably do one that
includes non-snmp nodes, or snmp nodes with the Microsoft OID
(~ 1.3.6.1.4.1\.311\.). Then look at what is in the Collection, and select
and delete them from all submaps. Remember to do this on all
maps if you have more than the 'default' map. If you don't, the nodes
are still managed somewhere, and you will get events even if they
are not in the map you are looking at. Check 'File..Open Map' to
look for other maps.

During the delete, make sure netmon is down. After the delete events
show up in the events display (may take a while), close the map and
run 'ovtopofix'. Use either -a or -A depending on how many maps
you have - see the man page. Then, with the new seedfile in place,
restart netmon and the map.

This should not be an ongoing administrative task, once they are
gone AND prevented from rediscovery. The ongoing issue does,
of course, apply to changes to network devices. In general, you
need to do a delete and rediscover of a device that has changed
a lot. The addition of new interfaces is handled by normal configuration
polling.

Detroit

"Les Dickert" <lesdickert@HOTMAIL.COM>@tkg.com on 08/11/2000 10:34:27 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com