RE: NetView 6.0 Discovery Problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: NetView 6.0 Discovery Problem
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:17:58 -0400

Yes, Netview does add nodes without name resolution. It always has.
Where DNS becomes a problem is when you have forward resolution
set up, but not reverse. Or when you have incorrect name resolution.
I've seen cases where interfaces were moved from one device to
another but DNS was never updated, or only updated in one direction.
At sites like this, you are better off without name resolution until you
can get it cleaned up. Just plain missing name resolution is not a
problem for Netview (except in the case of the new code for serials,
where the entries in CDP need to match up with name resolution on
the server.)  If you have this sort of poor name resolution, 6.0.1 will
not be able to handle it any better.

When I suspect that name resolution is an issue, I put the /etc/hosts
ahead of DNS and carefully resolve all addresses involved, delete
nodes thoroughly, and rediscover the node using a seedfile. It always
comes out right then, provided the database is reasonably clean.

Detroit

Stephen Elliott <selliott@epicrealm.com>@tkg.com on 09/20/2000 10:21:32 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com