RE: ovwdb startup option "-b"

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: ovwdb startup option "-b"
From: "Smith, Kristi" <kristi_smith@mentorg.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:43:20 -0700
Can you relate some symptoms from the situation you mentioned:  "I had one
system run really badly after migrating from V5 to V6.01, but run fine after
I rediscovered."   We upgraded a couple of weeks ago and have intermittently
had problems with the ovwdb daemon hitting 50% CPU and staying there for
hours. While it's running at 50% CPU, the ICMP polling is being delayed so
node down notifications can be hours old. The SNMP queries seem to be
working fine. We shouldn't have any problem with the ovwdb cache or the
processing power of the server.  We end up having to bounce the daemons to
clear the problem.

We are also having issues with NetView polling our 3Com LinkSwitches.  The
LinkSwitches come pre-configured with a SLIP address (192.101.1.1 or
192.168.101.1) and NetView 6.01 seems to be alot more sensitive to that
duplicate address everywhere (plus they're now viewed as routers too.) We
are getting rid of those addresses as we get downtime to reset the switches.

Thanks,
Kristi Smith
Mentor Graphics Corporation
(503) 685-1971