CiscoWorks2000 Integration (NT) - a question and an answer

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: CiscoWorks2000 Integration (NT) - a question and an answer
From: "Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:06:37 -0400
The question: The instructions for the Integration Utility (for NT, anyway)
say to install it on the Netview Server and also on the Netview clients.
If I don't want to use the menu functions (eg launch CiscoView) from the
clients, but only want map symbols, etc, can I skip this step? I found that
the map I copied to the clients had very bad symbol subtitution, so I went
ahead and installed and ran the Integration Utility on a couple of them.
But  in retrospect I suspect that I could have just copied bitmaps and
symbols
directories from the server to the clients and accomplished what I wanted.
Like
you have to copy MIB Appl enhancements and mibExpr.conf changes to the
clients. Has  anyone done that on NT? Do I need anything else besides
bitmaps and symbols? oid_to_sym?

The answer to last weeks question about running Netview and CW2K together
on one box: I had no problem installing these together. I did run into a
problem
with the Integration Utility, though. The CD-One component included the
Integration Utility at 1.2. I intalled that, then RME, then Campus Manager
making
sure that Netview still worked after each step. Then I ran the Integration
Utility. OK.
Then I tried to run the import from Netview into RME. It would not work.
The online
help did not sound as if that level of code supported Netview for NT. So I
downloaded the IU 1.3 , which I have used before, from the well-hidden
Cisco
website, and found r1.3 refused to install on a box with CiscoWorks2000
already on
it. The readme clearly states that it is for integration between remote
systems.
It does, however, install and run  fine on the Netview Client. This is the
level that
will be included in newer CD-Ones.

Maybe I did it wrong, but it appears to me that not only is combining them
a bad
idea, it will soon be disallowed, if you intend to do any integration.
Probably a
good idea in most cases, except for small sites who will now need two
boxes.