Re: How do I set my own collect time [SnmpCollect ]

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How do I set my own collect time [SnmpCollect ]
From: "Mel Brinkley" <mbrinkle@arches.uga.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:40:07 -0500
SnmpCollect is going to remember the last time time it collected data
because it is taking a five minute average.   I have written scripts using
snmpwalk since all the devices had more than one interface.   Using this
method one could snapshot the counters over a five minute period and come up
their own five minute average.  I developed an elaborate system taking into
account counter rollover, etc.  It really wasn't worth it.  It takes a lot
of machine power if the number of devices are many.
I would recommend letting SnmpCollect do its work, dump out the database to
a file using SnmpColDump and extract what I needed.  All this can be done in
one script in a cron job.  I also clear the databases at the same time
making sure the
collections don't overload the filesystem.

Mel