Re: NetView GUI and Linux

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView GUI and Linux
From: "Duane Waddle" <waddle1@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:41:49 -0600
I do it all of the time -- almost daily, in fact.  I have two group of
users who do it, in two different ways...

The first group uses Linux and its X implementation to let Linux act as a
fairly dumb X-Terminal.  The Linux machine does a "Xserver -query
netviewserver", and gets a Motif windows manager directly off the Netview
server.  These are a little bandwidth intensive, but very simple.  Plenty
of bandwidth helps.  We use use these for dedicated Netview screens, where
Exceed on Windows is just too difficult to support.

The others use Linux + KDE as their window manager, and rlogin to the
netview server and launch netview from there.  The only oddity is that in
some cases (and I'm not sure exactly what they are) the Keyboard gets
wrecked and won't accept input in the Netview windows.  The workaround I've
found is to kill the XKeyboard extension in the XServer configuration on
the Linux machine.  We use these for users who know how to support their
own linux system.

I've been thinking about putting in an enhancement request to have a Linux
client that will interoperate with Solaris or AIX servers.  I wonder if
anyone else would see benefit in it...

--D

Duane Waddle
waddle1@us.ibm.com
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."  -- RFC1925

Stephen Elliott <selliott@epicrealm.com>@tkg.com on 12/05/2000 11:19:56 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com