Re: Connection between routers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Connection between routers
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:56:52 -0500
Niko, I'm not saying it is wrong to do this (altering if_to_sym), only that
I do not trust it. The straight-line network was probably not intended for
this sort of use, and I suspect that I have seen it fail to represent all
interfaces when forced into service to support multiple protocols.
Or worse, multiple protocols which are defined to use the same
segment symbol. The only alteration I make in if_to_sym is to
support Frame Relay (along with the required alteration to the
Networks symbol file, noted in the header to if_to_sym). At one
customer site I found a highly modified if_to_sym. They were trying
to  eliminate all bubble networks so they could avoid cutting and
pasting. The discovery was a disaster until I restored that file. There
were lots of missing interfaces.  Netview is a discovery package,
not a drawing package. I recommend letting it tell you what is in
your network.

If you do make alterations to if_to_sym, keep a copy, of course, and
also check the results very carefully. The IP Internet level should
show routers and connections between routers. The Network level
submap should show the same routers, a segment per protocol, and
any H or B devices. The Segment level submap should show the
routers, the H/B devices, and anything else on that subnet. This goes
for both the straight-line network and the bubble network. The Node
level submap should show all numbered interfaces as well as those
unnumbered interfaces for which the other end of the connection is
present in the map. If you are not getting this, then check the results
you get with the default if_to_sym.

These are only my opinions, of course.

Detroit

niko_kaniadakis@it.ibm.com on 12/28/2000 10:19:21 AM