RE: SNMP COMMUNITY NAMES

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: SNMP COMMUNITY NAMES
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:57:29 -0500
I mess this up all the time.
You will need two entries in xnmsnmpconf: one for  127.0.0.1, and one
for the resolved name of the box. Unless of course the global default
you set in there is 'pisgah'. I figured out recently that if you put in the
127.0.0.1 and the ip address of the box, then demandpoll will try every
name in the /usr/OV/conf/communityNames.conf file, causing all sorts
of authentication errors, every time. Making an entry for the name took
care of it.

Keep in mind also that the authentication errors could be coming from
somewhere else. But you can usually tell, if you get a bunch of them
when you do a demandpoll on the management station node.

Detroit

"Gallagher, Bob" <bob.gallagher@firstcitizens.com>@tkg.com on 01/23/2001
04:43:46 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com