xnmappmon How-To question.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: xnmappmon How-To question.
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:26:56 -0600
Hello.

I work with a NetView 6.0.1 server running on AIX 4.3.3.

My Network Operations users have requested the ability to ping a device from
the Test menu within NetView. They watch the map all day and they notice
when new devices are not found by netmon. They want to be able to ping for
some count and snmp get (like netcheck) a device that does not yet exist on
the map or in the object database. In this way we think we can coax NetView
into discovering the object.

I've written a script the prompts the user for an IP address, etc. and then
opens an xterm with the results. It works just fine from the application I
added to the Test menu on the NetView toolbar. I'd like to use xnmappmon to
prompt the user. However, it seems as though it is designed to be used with
objects that are already on the map.

How I can use xnmappmon to open a dialog box for the user to enter the IP
address or host name? Is there a NetView shell environment variable I can
pass to my script?

Thanks in advance.

Ray Westphal