RE: Obtaining Cisco Chassis Serial Number

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Obtaining Cisco Chassis Serial Number
From: "Duane Waddle" <waddle1@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:08:12 -0600
There are a couple of different serial numbers associated with a Cisco.
First is the Processor Board ID, which is viewable from 'show version' ,
and should be in the MIB somewhere -- but I don' t know where.  This is
different than the serial number sticker they put on the outside of the
chassis, which to my knowledge, isn't available in the MIB unless you put
it there.  The IOS command 'snmp-server chassis-id' command allows you to
put any unique string (like the serial number from the sticker) in the
chassis ID field that is readable from the MIB.  But, it won't contain the
serial number by default.

Bottom line -- if you have a router in the field, and want to scarf the
serial number for bookkeeping reasons your best tools are a flashlight and
a mirror.

HTH....

--D

Duane Waddle