Re: event window and varbinds

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: event window and varbinds
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:55:57 -0400
See the man page on trapd.conf about "Additional Actions".  That is the
only way I can think of to do this, but it has a couple of limitations.

For these, the operator selects the event card and pulls down the "Options"
-> "Additional Action" menu in the events window, and scrolls to the action
he wants.
You have to build that action script or command, and specify generically
what variables will be passed.  What are the limitations?

(1) The man page information is the only place I know where this is
documented and it is not very clear.  You may want to spend some time
looking at the example scripts we have in /usr/OV/bin, such as printEvents
or sortEvents, to determine how they work.

(2)  Since what you are doing is programming on the message which is
displayed in the events window, and not on the actual event, then you must
make sure that whatever variables you want passed to your script are shown
in the message text, which is made available to your script as $MSG.  So
your trap must be customized to show the relevant data when you look at it
in the window.  You may  need to do a cut or an awk on $MSG (the displayed
message) to pass just what you want to your script or take the message line
apart internally in your script.

Good luck with yours

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support