RE: Ruleset COnfiguration for Mail Alert

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Ruleset COnfiguration for Mail Alert
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:45:17 -0400

You are using "echo" here which will not work because the daemon,
actionsvr, who executed your action does not have a display.  If you look
at the nvaction.alog and blog where such errors would be written then you
will undoubtedly some error messages there.  You need to use a utility such
as ovxecho, which will pop a window up on a display, that is not owned by
the process running the command.
There is documentation on using ovxecho, including a man page and examples
in the book.  You need to specify the display you want the window to be put
up on, either by setting the DISPLAY environment variable in a script which
calls ovxecho or by using the -d operand
     /usr/OV/bin/ovxecho -d  mybox.mydomain:0.0    <message text>

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

z_esm_karekars <z_esm_karekars@bharatpetroleum.com>@tkg.com on 04/17/2001