RE: Ruleset Configuration for Mail Alert

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Ruleset Configuration for Mail Alert
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:35:47 -0400
There may be no simple way to do exactly what you want to do.   The ruleset
facility is a user programming tool and like any programming tool is
limited by your ingenuity.

You can control both the LINK UP and LINK DOWN traps by using a Threshold
node, one for each kind.
For example, you could write
 event stream (block) --> Trap setting (LINK UP)  --> Threshold (1 after 5
in 10 minutes) --> Action --> Forward
and again
event stream (block) --> Trap setting (LINK DOWN)  --> Threshold (1 after 5
in 10 minutes) --> Action --> Forward
and if this is all that you want, then give it a try.
To put both in the same ruleset, you would hang the two trap settings
blocks off the same event stream node.  There would be only one of those.

If you have difficulties with this, I suggest you use nvcdebug as a
debugging tool.  Issue the command "nvcdebug -d all" while you are testing
and look at the trace in the nvcorrd.alog.  Perhaps then you can see what
is going on.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT