Re: Node Down/Node Up events

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Node Down/Node Up events
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:05:41 -0400
Are you serious?
You bring up the NetView GUI and click on "Help" and then "On Version" (or
whatever) and it tells you that you have Version 4.0?
I thought that the first level of V4 was 4.1.1,  but I could be wrong
because that was the first version I worked with when I joined the team in
1996.
If your assessment is accurate, then your code has been out of support for
at least 5 years.  NetView Version 4.1.2, the last level of NetView Version
4,  went of out of support the end of November 1998.

But to answer your first question, you should be setting the ping schedule
by using xnmsnmpconf.  Just type that in or do it from the GUI using
Options --> SNMP Configuration to bring it up.    What you set here is how
frequently netmon pings the devices.  This is done a regular, cyclical
basis and is not done more frequently after a "Node Down" unless things
have changed dramatically since the level of code you have.  t is hard to
tell.

More than likely the reason that you get frequent "Node Down" - "Node Up"
event for the same node is that the time-outs for your polling intervals
are too short.  If you adjust these then you may not have to build filters
or rulesets to alter your event window.  But you can alter what you see in
the window with a filter based on Thresholds.  I'd leave that until you try
adjusting the polling intervals first.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT