Re: Node Down/Node Up events

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Node Down/Node Up events
From: Szymon Trocha <Szymon.Trocha@man.poznan.pl>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:25:31 +0200
>Well, you can try building a ruleset and see if it will give you what you
>want, but I don't see exactly how to give you all of it.
>
>Start with an Event Stream which has BLOCK as the default action.  You can
>use a Node Down connected to a Reset-On-Match, with a time out of 5
>minutes, connected to a Forward and  the #2 side of  the Reset is your Node
>Up, matching on attribute 2 (the hostname).  Then only those Node Down's
>which don't get matched within 5 minutes will go to the window.  But the
>Node Ups will not go at all unless you explicitly connect them to the
>Forward.  But then you will get all Node Ups regardless of whether they
>were used in a match or not.  There is no getting around that so far as I
>can see.

Hi,

I noticed the same when I was trying to build a ruleset. It seems there is
no way to do what I want. I wanted to be sure that I was not doing
something wrong.

>I don't understand what you are asking about attributes in the Events
>window.  Almost everything you see there is customizable.  You use xnmtrap
>to configure the Log Message in trapd.conf to change what you see.  The man
>page on trapd.conf will explain what all the variables such as $A, $C, and
>$1 - $50 mean and how to use them to display whatever parts of the trap you
>want.   This is all explained in the Administrator's Guide, too.

When you look at the Events window you see a list of events (or presented
by cards). I ment such attributes like: date (day, month, hour), host name,
source (for instance "N") and a message formatted in trapd.conf. I know
that I can customise the last part of that event i.e the message. I can put
there my own message including a set of variables. But I would like for
instance not to display source or hostname (the hostname could be included
in the message part).Can I do this?

Regards and thank you for any advice,
Szymon Trocha

POZNAN SUPERCOMPUTING & NETWORKING CENTER
Tel. (+48 61) 8582022
http://noc.man.poznan.pl